Creamy Habanero Sauce Recipe for Hot Dogs2015-08-28
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
Creamy Habanero Sauce Recipe for Hot Dogs
There’s a local Mexican hot dog joint just north of Chicago that’s famous for it’s creamy habanero sauce. Creamy Habanero Sauce is like an Alfredo sauce with a serious kick. You can use it in all kinds of Mexican dishes, like enchiladas and burritos, but I’d never had it on a hot dog before. It’s awesome so I decided to try to make it at home. The owner said he didn’t put any actual habanero’s in it, just the habanero heat, so I decided to simmer the entire habanero in the sauce to infuse it with the flavor.
To allow the habanero’s spicy flavor to seep into the creamy sauce cut the habanero chili pepper open, removed the seeds and browned it slightly with some garlic before adding to the sauce to simmer . Just remember to carefully to wash your hands with soap after handling the pepper. The habanero oils can really irritate your skin, mouth and eyes!
I used half a habanero chili to keep the sauce on the milder side, but if you want a spicier sauce with a serious bite, use both halves! Just remember to remove the habanero when you are done. If you light things on the milder side, you may want to taste the sauce as it’s cooking, and remove the half habanero when the sauce is spicy enough for you.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 habanero pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt, to taste
- Melt butter in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Slice habanero in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Add half of the habanero and the minced garlic to the pan.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes until softened and starting to darken in color. This releases the flavors of the garlic and habanero.
- Stir in the flour and continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, until the cream is thick and bubbly.
- Reduce heat and stir in the chicken broth. Season with salt, to taste. Remove habanero chili from sauce before serving.