French Onion Dog2014-08-17
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 small yellow onions, sliced thin
4 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped, plus more for garnish if desired
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 3 teaspoons)
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 all beef hot dogs **I used the jumbo size
2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
4 hot dog buns, buttered and toasted
1. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil until shimmering.
2. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned and softened.
3. Add the Worcestershire Sauce, the thyme, the mustard, garlic and salt and pepper, stirring until well-mixed.
4. Cook for another 10 minutes or so, until the onions are golden brown and completely soft.
5. Prepare your hot dogs as desired (I used a grill pan on the stove, but feel free to use a gas grill outside).
6. Place your cooked hot dog on the toasted bun and place a thick layer of Gruyere cheese over the hot dog.
7. Spoon the caramelized onion mixture over each hot dog, covering the cheese and hot dog completely.
8. Sprinkle with additional cheese and fresh thyme, if desired. Enjoy!
Source: Adapted from Be Your Own Chef, by Karen Blake Peek from Inspired Art of Cooking.