Kogi Hot Dog Recipe2014-08-17
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
Imagine a chef who cooked at New York City’s legendary restaurant, Le Bernardin opening a food truck and serving hot dogs. Well enter Roy Kogi who made Korean short rib tacos famous and whose food truck is also the go to spot for kimchi hot dogs. I’ve never had the pleasure of eating one of Roy’s kimchi hot dogs, but I have read about them and made a few for my family and myself. I’ve made a few variations on Roy’s recipe to make it easier for home chefs. Sadly, I recently learned that Chef Kogi has taken his kimchi hot dog off the menu to make room for other delicacies.
8 hot dog buns, split
8 all-beef hot dogs, partially split
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 cups kimchi, drained and patted dry
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cilantro sprigs
Sriracha, for drizzling
- Mix sesame seed oil and mayonnaise and taste. Season with salt if necessary.
- In a nonstick pan or skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the kimchi and cook over medium-high heat until browned all over, 3 minutes.
- Heat your grill. Butter the insides of the buns and grill over moderately high heat, cut side down, until crisp, 20 seconds. Turn and grill for 20 seconds longer. Spread the cut side of each bun with the sesame mayonnaise.
- Grill the hot dogs over moderately high heat until nicely charred all over, 3 minutes.
- Put the hot dogs in the buns and top with kimchi and shredded cheddar cheese. Garnish with a little of the cilantro. Drizzle a little Sriracha on top and serve.