Pizza Hot Dog Recipe2015-06-04
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
The Best Pizza Hot Dog Recipe
Pizza hot dogs are not necessarily a regional variation of the hot dog, but they are wonderful non-the-less. Who doesn’t love pizza and hot dogs so it makes perfect sense to marry the two together in this delicious recipe. My kids and I must eaten over a hundred pizza hot dogs while we were “perfected” this recipe over the years. Even though they are in high school now, they still come home and love to make these pizza hot dogs for their friends after school. It is a quick and easy snack and the ingredients stay fresh in the refrigerator for weeks. For added variety, add some of your other favorite pizza toppings as well. We’ve tried Italian sausage, black olives, mushrooms, pineapple, onions, diced ham, and even anchovies – they are all delicious. One long weekend last fall my son invited over his soccer teammates and we had a “Build Your Own Pizza Hot Dog” competition. It was fun to see what his friends came up with!
- 4 hot dog buns
- 4 hot dogs
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese
- 12 slices of pepperoni
- 1 cup store bought pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
To assemble a pizza hot dog:
- Warm hot dogs in hot water for 5 minutes.
- Remove from water and split hot dogs lengthwise.
- Split buns lengthwise and place on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the inside of the buns.
- Place one split hot dog on each bun.
- Spread pizza sauce over the hot dogs, and three pepperoni slices on top of each hot dog, then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese
- Broil hot dogs about 2 inches from broiler until cheese bubbles and browns slightly and the hot dogs are hot, about 1-2 minutes depending on how hot your broiler is.