Seattle-Style Hot Dog2014-08-17
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
Seattle-Style Hot Dogs
While most regional hot dogs in the United States have a long, if not well know history, the Seattle Style cream cheese dog has become a new regional favorite hot dog that seems to have popped up out of nowhere.
A Seattle Style Hot Dog is an all beef hot dog settled in a lightly toasted hot dog bun and topped with caramelized onions, smokey cream cheese, grilled spicy jalapenos, and kettle chips for some crunch!
What? Cream cheese on a hot dog you say? Seriously! I felt the same way until I tried it. It’s oddly soothing.
To prepare a Seattle hot dog you start by slowly caramelizing some yellow onions in a spoonful of butter. When the onions are almost done, de-glaze (get the brown bits off) the pan with a couple of splashes of white wine and set the onions aside.
Once your hot dogs are grilled and the buns are toasted, begin by smearing a generous spoonful of cream cheese on the lightly toasted bun. Then place the hot dog on the bun, and top with the caramelized onions and grilled jalapenos.
After that, you can customize your toppings to taste. My friend Rachel, loves a little squirt of Sriracha for the extra heat! I really like putting crumbled kettle chips on top of my hot dog.
Seriously. Try a Seattle Hot Dog. It’s will change your definition of fine dining.
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons, dry white wine
- 6 all beef hot dogs
- 6 hot dog buns
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 8 oz Philadelphia bacon cream cheese
- Kettle Chips
- Yellow mustard
- Heat a large skillet over medium/medium low heat. Once hot, add in butter
- Once the butter has melted, add in sliced onion and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and caramelized
- In the last minute, de-glaze the pan with the white wine
- Set aside
- Preheat your grill to high heat
- Cook hot dogs until warmed through
- Toast buns until golden brown, this won’t take long
- Place jalapenos on the grill and cook for about 6-8 minutes, turning every minute or so
- Take a toasted bun and smear on a generous spoonful of cheese cream
- Place hot dog in the bun and top with caramelized onions, jalapenos, kettle chips, and any optional toppings, to taste!